Presenting your home
Smyth has many years experience in successfully assisting people prepare their homes for sale. It is our aim to help you to achieve a result beyond your expectations.
Part of this process is working with you to make sure your home is looking its absolute best and has the maximum appeal for buyers. Experience tells us that sprucing up your home is well worth the effort and usually has a positive impact on the selling price.
We suggest you consult us before you carry out any major maintenance or alterations but meanwhile there are many small and inexpensive ways of making your home more appealing and more saleable.
Inside Your Home – Our Suggestions
- Ensure your home is thoroughly cleaned from floor to ceiling
- Remove all unnecessary clutter off kitchen worktops and take everything off the front of the fridge. Check the tops of the presses too and clear anything that spoils the look. Mood lighting always creates an ambiance so don’t forget to check all lamps too.
- Have an adequate level of heating on. If you have an open fire or stove, it is nice to have it lit, especially on cold days
- Add a bowl of fruit or a vase of flowers to the kitchen table for colour
- Steam clean the carpets
- Replace any faulty or used bulbs or light fittings.
- Attend to minor repairs such as dripping taps, creaking doors and sticking windows
- Make sure all integrated appliances are gleaming clean and operating efficiently
- Clean bathrooms and toilets regularly and leave the lid closed
- Ensure all tiling and grouting is clean and in good condition
- Put fresh towels in the bathrooms
- Check that all doors open and close freely (Oil if necessary)
- Clean mirrors and windows. Have the curtains and blinds neat and even
- Tidy cupboards (someone may open them)
- Remove pet bowls and litter trays from living and kitchen areas
- Brighten up your home with fresh flowers
Outside Your Home
- Cast a critical eye over the entrance to make sure it says “welcome”. Remember, first impressions are everything!
- Invest in a new doormat
- Dust and wash the front door
- Freshen exterior paintwork
- Clean out gutters and down pipes
- Dust and wash window sills
- Remove cobwebs
- Clean windows
- Wash soffits and fascias
- Check garden and exterior lights to make sure they are working and clean
- Wash the garage door, make sure it operates and make sure the garage is tidy
- Sweep up leaves regularly and give timber decking and furniture a coat of oil if shabby
- Keep children’s bikes and garden accessories neatly stored and clear pathways
In The Garden
- Mow the lawns regularly
- Trim all the hedges
- Sweep paths and driveways
- Remove any rubbish and garden clippings
- Store toys and garden tools out of sight
- Add some colour by planting flowers in pots
- Trim any trees and shrubs covering windows
- Repair, straighten or repaint fences